Friday, January 4, 2008

Old vs. Antique

Year 2007 was such an intensely dynamic year no matter how you look at it. Out of the many topics of interest, I could not pick one as a fitting citation for the year past and a grandiose welcome for the new one. Until I received this reply (copied below)) to my e-mail from someone I consider a mentor but who is insisting he is a friend.

dear grace:

i am not a wise old man. i am a wise guy. :):):)

i am not old. i am an antique. old is that which, with the passing of time, deteriorates and losses value while an antique is that which gets better and acquires more value with the passing of time. the reason why my wife refuses to acquire antique pieces for the house is because she says one antique (me) is more than enough.

ric, the ancient one.



To this my response is:

It never crossed my mind that you are old, Bro. Ric. I always equate you with wisdom but not with years. For me, you are a dynamo, a powerhouse of positive and creative thoughts which can be very spiritual and down-to-earth at the same time. That makes you very young, regardless of your age. It' s because spirituality knows no age. It is immortal.

But then, how can anything be an antique without the years. Unless it is a fake antique like those artifacts made to look aged by the artist's sleigh of hand?

Grace


The exchange was triggered by a powerpoint presentation "A WISE OLD MAN" forwarded to me by a year-end blessing who is:
Nellie V. Mangubat
Tropical Disease Foundation
Suite 2002, 20th floor
Medical Plaza Makati Condominium
cor. Amorsolo & de la Rosa Sts.
Makati City 1229

Ms Mangubat responded to a December e-mail of appeal for help for Bukid Kabataan (BK) which houses and heals abused and abandoned children and is under the management of the Good Shepherd Sisters. She followed her notice of bank deposit for BK with the inspiring "Wise Old Man". I forwarded this powerpoint presentation to chosen friends, both new and antique, young and old.

Such a trail of reaching-out and generosity is a most spiritual tribute to the year 2007 and a rousing welcome for the new-born 2008.

No comments: